Accommodations for conference participants have been reserved at the following hotels at discounted rates:
- Hampton Inn & Suites at the University: $199/night + taxes, breakfast is included. Click here to book or call the hotel directly at (434) 923-8600 or their Hampton reservations line at 1-800-426-7866 and mention UVA Global Fusion Conference to receive the group rate. Block release date is September 19, 2018.
- UVA Inn at Darden: $145/night + taxes, breakfast is included. To book, call UVA Inn at Darden's reservations department at (434) 297-7384 and identify yourself by providing Global Fusion Conference to ensure you receive the appropriate rate and are included in the guestroom block. Reservations must be confirmed prior to September 19, 2018.
Conference participants who have not made reservations as part of our room blocks should note that Charlottesville is home to many Airbnb rentals as well as traditional bed and breakfasts. The University of Virginia's new president will be inaugurated on Friday, October 19th, so many local hotels are charging higher than usual rates the weekend of the conference. Please plan accordingly.
Travel directions to the University of Virginia. PLEASE NOTE: Conference participants who travel by air should use Charlottesville Albemarle Airport (CHO) as your destination. This airport is about 10 miles from the University of Virginia. The next closest airport is Richmond International Airport – about 83 miles from the University of Virginia. Conference participants who travel via Amtrak should use Charlottesville (CVS) as your destination. This train station is one mile from the University of Virginia.
Local transportation is available from the following:
- Charlottesville Area Transit (CAT) - city buses. For fare options and pickup locations, call (434) 970-3649 or visit their website.
- Free Trolley. For pickup locations, visit their website.
- Yellow Cab (434) 295-4131
Both the Free Trolley and the Route 7 city bus serve the University area and provide direct service to the Amtrak station as well as Charlottesville's Downtown Mall.
Uber and Lyft are both active in Charlottesville, although availability will be less here than in urban areas. If you plan to travel via rideshare app, please give yourself plenty of time to arrive at your destination.
Attendees can park in the K2 lot: Near South Lawn (1540 Jefferson Park Avenue) after 5pm on Friday, all day Saturday, and all day Sunday. Parking is free and available at the Inn at Darden for Friday evening's activities.
The conference will provide 2 drink tickets per person and hors d'oeuvres at the welcoming reception on Friday evening, breakfast items Saturday and Sunday, and lunch and snacks on Saturday. There will also be a happy hour event for conference attendees at the Augustiner restaurant on Saturday evening, with 1 drink ticket per person and appetizers. For meals not covered by the conference, there are several options available, including well-known chain restaurants. For conference participants looking for some local flavor, a few suggestions are included below.
Barracks Road Shopping Center (near the Inn at Darden)
- Sedona Taphouse
- Peter Chang's China Grill
- Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar
- Tara Thai
The Corner (collection of businesses near UVA's Central Grounds)
- Bodo's Bagels
- Farm Bell Kitchen
- Roots Natural Kitchen
- The Pigeon Hole
- Michael's Bistro and Taphouse
The Downtown Mall (near happy hour gathering Saturday evening)
- Citizen Burger Bar
- Twisted Branch Tea Bazaar
- The Whiskey Jar
- Himalayan Fusion
- Commonwealth Restaurant and Skybar
- Red Pump Kitchen
Additionally, the Oakhurst Inn Cafe, a short walk from the primary conference location at the South Lawn Commons, offers weekend brunch and coffee shop beverages.
For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org